Tuesday, August 29, 2023

The Voice Referendum

 Why I will be voting for an Indigenous Voice in Parliament:


1. This was a key part of the Uluru Statement. At that time a majority of the country seemed to back Indigenous opinion and rights. I guess the change now has come from a negative, anti-Indigenous misinformation campaign. 

2. Constitutional representation of First Nations Peoples is an enshrined right in the UN Charter. We can't cherry pick the rights we like and blank those we don't like  

3. First Nations people are in the best position to say whether a constitutional Voice would be a good thing, and they seem to be saying it would. I don't want to impose my white background on a decision which doesn't affect me. 

4. I lived in Melbourne for about 15 years where I was fed the lie of the city's great cultural diversity. In fact, like the rest of Australia, it seemed to me to be predominantly White with huge discriminatory problems affecting Indigenous, Asian, African etc groups. And Melbourne probably is more liberal than other cities! So I will support the Indigenous identity in the Voice Referendum and stand with under represented, or minority groups, who have faced discrimination and are still being subjected to discrimination now. 

Hopefully, the Voice will be a step towards Australia's Indigenous peoples having a better life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chess Candidates

 Will I be following the Candidates Tournaments ? You bet!! The next 3 weeks will be full on. The Candidates events will dominate the chess ...